Sunday, August 7, 2011

It's Been A While...

It's been a while.  It's been a LONG while, I know.  I think I have had a bad case of writer's block.  Ok, maybe it was the fact that my Sunny disposition was NOT so sunny and I had absolutely nothing inspiring to say.  The end of the school year for me was one of the hardest times I have had to endure in a long time.  It was the most difficult time I have had to endure with my illness to date.  I was full of false hope from my doctor telling me that my Humira injections were going to make me feel so much better (not to mention the wonderful commercials I have seen for it).  I was exhausted, not tired, a never ending exhausted...a to-the-bone exhausted that stripped me of my ability to think, speak, and even care about what was going on around me.  With that, my rheumy told me to just drink more coffee...lol.  I was in pain, in constant inflammation, and feeling very certain that I wasn't going to make it to the end of the year.  I had to keep telling myself, "just a few more weeks"...then, "just X amount of days"...finally resorting to, I will try to make it through this next hour.  I pushed myself and pushed myself, and for what?  A paycheck... We are so worried about money, that my mental, physical and emotional health was pushed to the brink. 

On top of all of this, had been a progressing stomach issue that continued to get shrugged off.  It started around February, and when I first brought it up to my rheumy, she said it was common and to make sure I continued my folic acid.  I told her I was taking Pepcid daily and it wasn't helping.  By April, my last appointment with her before her maternity leave, I let her know that my stomach was better (neither was my RA for that matter), and that I was having trouble eating.  I told her I was chewing Gaviscon throughout the day, which really wasn't helping.  And, I told her again about my exhaustion and my inability to mentally function during the day.  Drink more coffee!!  Oh, ok...Kids, yes you--put down your calculators, we are running to Starbucks.  I am sure no one will  mind!  Oh wait, I can't do that...the coffee is making me sick.  Duh!   And, I don't think I sneak 30 5th grade students out to Starbucks on a daily basis!

By May, I was happy if I ate the equivalent of 1 meal a day.  I was just sick to my stomach, food went right through me, and I gagged and gagged- a lot!  With my rheumy on maternity leave, I thought I would hold out until my appointment with the other Rheumy in her practice in June.  Oh but wait, he decided to quit before my appointment! 

Summer is usually a relaxing, regenerating, and recuperating time for me.  However, not this time.  I spent most of June and July flaring up and very sick.  My voice is strained making it difficult to talk and I have a difficult time swallowing without gagging.  So, my husband decided enough was enough and sent me to his PCP...who in turn, sent me straight to a Gastroenterologist, who in turn ordered an Endoscopy to be done.    The procedure, along with the biopsy and esophagus dilation, was done this past Friday as I await the results.  My theory, and my hope, is that it is the methotrexate and nothing worse.

Summer is pretty much over for me, with having to go back to work tomorrow to start setting up my classroom, and officially reporting for duty next Monday.  My RA is not under control, I am still tired (even on summer break), and I am still sick.  The sunny side has got to be in there somewhere...right?  Oh yeah, at least I am bringing home that paycheck!  :)  (Insert sinister giggle here)...

The sun IS there, even if you can't see it behind the clouds...

7 comments:

  1. You are a very strong and courageous lady my love. As always praying for teh SON to releive you of all this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. I hope you hear back regarding your tests soon. I know what it's like to flare and it's really hard to do anything, like alone function at a job. Best of luck to you and I'm keeping you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you're having such an awful time! Praying for answers, solutions, REST and most of all... comfort and strength for you during all this. May you FEEL (not just know in your head,) His love lifting you up and carrying you through.
    Sending you love in Christ,
    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear of your ongoing gastro issues - right after I had bilateral TKR I started developing a lot of issues too - I was finally dx with at the very least a gluten allergy and am now being tested for Celiac's Disease - you may want to be tested for this too - there is bw and also a biopsy done on your small intestine done through an endoscope - good luck...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You poor thing. I understand totally. I, too have had gastric problems. I've been on Humira for 4 weeks now and all food seems to just go through me. I wonder if is a side-effect of humira. I tried embrel and was on it for 6 months hoping and waiting for the improvement. Didn't happen. My joints are as bad as they have ever been and I 'm too tired to even do the shopping. I have not worked for almost 2 years now - I too was a teacher. I am now on a pension as I just cannot work. My knees, hips ankles and wrists are terrible! Good luck. I really hope the Humira works for you.

    ReplyDelete


  6. Hi,

    I was wondering if you accepted any guest posting regarding arthritis, hip pain, and hip replacement surgery on your site? I couldn’t manage to find your email on the site. If you could get a hold of me at ahayes@drugwatch.com, I would greatly appreciate it!

    Thanks,
    -Aubrey

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a safe & effective Natural Herbal Medicine. For Total Cure Call    +2349010754824,  or email him   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com       For an Appointment with (Dr.) AKHIGBE contact him. Treatment with Natural Herbal Cure. For: Painful or Irregular Menstruation. HIV/Aids. Diabetics. Vaginal Infections. Vaginal Discharge. Itching Of the Private Part. Breast Infection. Discharge from Breast. Breast Pain & Itching. Lower Abdominal Pain. No Periods or Periods Suddenly Stop. Women Sexual Problems. High Blood Presure Chronic Disease. Pain during Sex inside the Pelvis. Pain during Urination. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, (PID). Dripping Of Sperm from the Vagina As Well As for Low sperm count. Parkinson disease. Lupus.  Cancer.  Tuberculosis.  Zero sperm count.  Asthma.  Quick Ejaculation. Premature Ejaculation. Herpes. Joint Pain. Stroke. Weak Erection.  Erysipelas,  Discharge from Penis. Hepatitis A and B. STD. Staphylococcus + Gonorrhea + Syphilis. Heart Disease.  Pile-Hemorrhoid.rheumatism, thyroid,  Waist & Back Pain.  Male Infertility and Female Infertility. Etc. Take Action Now. contact him & Order for your Natural Herbal Medicine:  +2349010754824  and email him    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    Note For an Appointment with (Dr.) AKHIGBE.I suffered in Cancer for a year and three months dieing in pain and full of heart break. One day I was searching through the internet and I came across a testimony herpes cure by doctor Akhigbe. So I contact him to try my luck, we talk and he send me the medicine through courier service and with instructions on how to be drinking it.To my greatest surprise drinking the herbal medicine within three weeks I got the changes and I was cure totally. I don't really know how it happen but there is power in Dr Akhigbe herbal medicine. He is a good herbalist doctor.

    ReplyDelete